Tallassee Confederate Armory

Tallassee Confederate Armory
Street address: 

1844 Outer Dr.
Tallassee, AL 36078

Tours by appt. only.

c/o Talisi Historical Society, P.O. Box 780022
Tallassee, AL 36078


When Confederacy feared security of Richmond, VA, decision was made to relocate Richmond Carbine to old 1844 cotton mill in Tallassee. Only Confederate armory to survive Civil War.

Related attractions

Horizontally arched bridge spanning Tallapoosa River. One of world's longest curved bridges. 143 ft. above water, 1738 ft. long. The bridge opened on December 10, 1940, connecting east and west Tallassee.
When Confederate Armory moved to Tallassee, 3 homes were constructed on King St. by Confederate government to house officers in command. Only 2 of 3 houses remain, now used as offices.
Rolling hills, 3-lake course. Number of holes: 18 Par: 69 Championship Yardage: 6000 yds. "
2-room cabin with big stone chimneys and dogtrot hallway is oldest dwelling in Tallassee. Cabin was center for education before formal schools were established in area.
2-story stone building constructed in 1893 by Tallassee Mills as commissary store. Now houses mall with 40 vendors specializing in antiques, gifts, hand-crafted and home décor items. Original fixtures and memorabilia displayed.