Sadler Family Pioneer Home

Sadler Family Pioneer Home
Street address: 

5262 Eastern Valley Rd.
Bessemer, AL 35021

Open by appt. for tours and special occasions.

P.O. Box 184
Bessemer, AL 35021

33.316528, -87.013762

Preserved and operated by the West Jefferson County Historical Society.

The construction of the Sadler Plantation House was begun between 1818 and 1820 by John Loveless, a settler from South Carolina. After his death, his widow sold the two story clapboard-covered log cabin to Isaac Wellington Sadler. Mr. Sadler remodeled the structure and doubled its size around 1830. By 1860, the Sadler House was situated on an expansive plantation of 2,800 acres. During the Civil War, the house was spared by the Union troops known as Wilson's Raiders as they passed by after destroying the nearby Tannehill Furnaces.

Isaac Sadler was one of the founders of Pleasant Hill Academy and Pleasant Hill Methodist Church, as well as a trustee of Old Salem School. He and his wife, Martha Prude, had nine children. One son, David Scott Sadler was killed on a battlefield near Dalton, Georgia at age seventeen while serving with the Confederate Army.

The towering pecan tree in the backyard of the Sadler House was said to have been planted in 1852, when their daughter Alice Eulalia Sadler was born.

The Sadler House was donated to the West Jefferson County Historical Society in the 1970's by Mrs. Freddie S. Lipscomb, a Sadler family descendant.

Related attractions

Housed in renovated Southern Railway Terminal. Contains artifacts, documents, photographs, 1800s furnishings and farm implements, Civil War collection relating to 1862 28th Alabama Regiment, antique telephone display, library.
Original structures dating from early 1800s, built of logs covered with clapboard. Many original owners contributed to development of Alabama in education, politics, veterinary medicine, agriculture and other fields.
Neat course, relatively short. Tree-lined. Small, nice greens.
Variety of shopping and sightseeing options. Home to Alabama's oldest restaurant, The Bright Star, and many renovated buildings dating back to 1887.
Rolling hills, trees and water.
Thomas Hennington Owen originally began construction on the Owen Plantation House in 1833 when he built the two rooms that now make up the back wing. He and his bride, Malissa Rose Sadler, moved into the quaint structure that year.
The McAdory Plantation House was built around 1840 on an estate of about 2,000 acres by Thomas McAdory, Jr. The pioneer architect constructed the dog-trot style house from numbered hand-hewn logs and wooden pegs.